Friday, January 8, 2010

Day Three: The Horse Barn

I learned something today that I had been wondering about just the other day:
A lithograph is a copy of a piece of art by the artist who makes a sort of stamp of the original; so a lithograph is basically an original.
Today was my first time (that I remember) going into The Horse Barn at the Falls. I've always heard there was cool art in there, so it was fun to have the assignment today.
The first piece that really caught my eye is entitled "Gibbons Falls" and it is a black and white photograph. I googled Gibbons Falls, and it looks like it is somewhere in Yellowstone. The photo's focal point is a tall waterfall of a river winding out of a forest. Surrounding the Falls are several dead trees tipping and already fallen. It made me think about how water sustains life, and even among a dying generation there is new life and hope. Also, the flow of the river drew my eyes toward the horizon which kept me looking for new potential. This picture really made me think about how the hope and life of water is constant along with the inevitable occurrence of death and change.
Next I found a simple and beautiful watercolor painting called "Windmill." It is a monochromatic painting, all in hues of gray and black. A dirt road curves next to an old windmill along a fence line and field, and then is lost around a hill. I wondered if the fading elements (disappearing road and fence, and bland gray color) represent our fading heritages. Windmills and fields are obviously agricultural, and in our developing country we seem to be losing our ties to the very backbone of our country: agriculture. On a lighter note though, I really liked the painting because it is a pretty image of rural life.
I found 2 really nice paintings of the Falls (of the Big Sioux River). One is a very colorful painting of a Sioux tribe living alongside the Falls. The river is distinguishable as the Falls as we know them today, but the rest of the scenery is much different than the modern backdrop of John Morrell, streets, The Horse Barn, and that Cafe with the water wheel. In this painting, there is an entire community of Sioux Indians with their teepees. I found this picture pretty fascinating because I often wonder how many people have stepped where I am walking now and how many people have already seen what I see. I think it is probably a realistic depiction of how the Sioux River looked back in the day.
The next painting of the Falls is exactly what we see today (well, I suppose not today because it appears to be a summer scene where the water is actually flowing and not iced over).
I enjoyed noticing the differences in the 2 paintings of the Falls. Change is in the air!
Did you know there is a National Woodcarvers Association? That's awesome! South Dakota has its own Woodcarvers Association too! The sample carvings I saw today ranged from little star etchings to elaborate, 3-D bears and eagles....very cool.
I also saw a pretty acrylic painting called "Unlit." Since I wasn't allowed to take photos of the artwork, I'll try to help you imagine it now: it is a jet black night with no moon or stars shining. Tall waves are crashing against the rocky beach. The only light (which is very bright, yet it is direct so the surrounding area is still black) is coming from a lighthouse. Stepping out of the lighthouse door onto the rocks is a man whose shadow stretches far ahead of him. To me this is kind of like the Prodigal Son story, or the slightly rebellious middle child of the family...someone who knows where home (the light, God) is, but he/she wants to explore and break away from what is expected. I decided the man walking out of the lighthouse just wants to take a walk on the wild side (and not necessarily "wild," just adventurous) for a bit and then return to his sanctuary.
There are 3 acrylic and soft pastel paintings that hang together on a wall and look just like old TVs with dials. On each screen is a different lady singing into those old-fashioned microphones with silvery rings. The first is a black lady with an Afro and beautiful eyes. The whole painting is black and white except for a pretty sunflower in her hair and bright yellow lips. The next is a white woman who has a green flower and green lips. The last is another black lady with a blue flower and blue eyes. I'm not sure if the 3 paintings represent a bold emergence (with the brightly colored flowers) of women or black people on TVor in society or if it is just intended to capture the beauty of singing, but I really enjoyed looking at these paintings. They are very realistic, and there is such peace and tranquility expressed in their faces....very fun to see so much expression with spot color.
Another set of 3 paintings that go together is more abstract. Totally in black and white, these 3 are entitled "Grace," "Hope," and "Peace." "Grace" has very smooth lines with a balanced amount of black and white. "Hope" is very flowing, and the way the lines curve drew my eyes from the black to the white. "Peace" has more black than white, yet it is very smooth and gently flowing. There are a couple abrupt lines, and it somehow maintains a calm essence. I think it is accurately named. Anyone should feel peace when every aspect of life is aligned nicely, but a truly peaceful person will feel peace even in times of darkness and uncertainties.
My youthful playfulness was nurtured today with a handheld fan (one of those accordian-type, Oriental-looking fans) and a bird mobile. Visitors are allowed to wave the fan to move the birds...I enjoyed it!
Another piece I liked is a set of 9 digital pictures of a pair of shoes...the same pair of shoes in 9 different places. Sometimes I stop and wonder how many places my feet have walked or how many places my camera has taken a picture, so I thought this piece was very neat.
Right after that, I found another picture that totally is me...tennis shoes splashing into a deep puddle....need I say more? I LOVE splashing in puddles...this picture is awesome :)
There were so many fascinating pieces of artwork at The Horse Barn today....detailed glass etchings, beautiful pottery with delicate clay leaves, metallic-looking glazes, a sand box called "Change is Constant," and a variety of photographs. I really enjoyed looking at all of it! I wish I could write more, but my Grandma is expecting me home tonight and I still need to gather my laundry ;)
Guess what?! On my way back from The Horse Barn, I drove past Mr. Scary as he trudged through the snowy sidewalk. I immediately recognized him, and I think he saw me too...yikes!

1 comment:

  1. Since I was a small child, my favorite verse is Psalms 119:105 "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." This entry reminded me of this verse. The art you describe, the way that you view it and write about it, and the questions raised are oozing in light.

    ReplyDelete