Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Sunbeams!

Tonight at the Salvation Army Holly and I got to help out with Sunbeams, which is basically like Girl Scouts, only Christian. Even the pledges of the 2 organizations resemble each other.
The girls seem to range in age from maybe 3rd or 4th grade up to probably about 6th grade.
They earn badges, just like in Scouts, and they even wear uniforms and sashes at special ceremonies.
The girl I sat next to is one of those people who comments on EVERYTHING and is super annoying, but I tried to remind myself she is made in the image of God so she really can't be that bad. It definitely helped my attitude towards her; and I figured she's probably about like I was at that age, so then I just felt bad for the adults in my life while I was younger.
The girl on my other side is a very sweet people-pleaser. She has a great attitude about life and her busy schedule and Sunbeams. When we stood up to recite the pledge, she patted my back and said, "You'll learn it!" I smiled and thought, "Alrighty."
One thing I noticed tonight was the privileges kids have. It baffles me how young kids are when they get cell phones nowadays. I didn't get my own cell phone til I came to college, and these kids get phones at the ripe old age of 11. I think it's rather ridiculous, unnecessary, and very spoiling. But that's my 2 cents on an issue that doesn't affect me directly since I am not 11 and I do not have children.
I enjoyed seeing the Sunbeam program this evening. It is really refreshing to know there are groups who advocate hard work and good deeds. Also at the Salvation Army (while the Sunbeams meet), there is a Girl Guard meeting (which is basically Sunbeams for older girls), and Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts. I think kids' involvement in organizations such as Sunbeams, Scouts, 4-H, FFA, Junior ROTC, band and choir, and sports can positively help shape their characters.
I'm headed on a road trip tomorrow and am not sure when I'll be able to blog next. In the meantime, I will be visiting with my Grandpa, visiting my parents and brother and sister-in-law and nephew, and of course, livin' it up!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting note about kids and cell phones. You're not the only one seeing a qucik change in technology: see this Brad Stone essay from the New York Times on tech change and "mini-generation gaps".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moral of the story: Community and communiations - not texting - is the core to change.

    ReplyDelete