Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Writing the Phone Book

Today we 3 Sioux Fallsers returned to The St. Francis House. At first Holly and I made sandwiches for the sack lunches that the workers take along to their jobs. We were hoping to make 70 sandwiches, enough for 35 sacks, but we ran out of meat at about 26 lunches. I enjoyed making the lunches, and it was fun to try to prepare a meal for a stranger. Each lunch gets 2 items from the snack drawer and 1 from the chip drawer. I took a nutrition class last semester, so I was unconsciously analyzing the lunches we were making and trying to figure out what would be best to add from the selection of cookies, pretzels, and chips. As we put together the sacks, I wondered about which resident would receive each bag, hoping he/she would like the selection.
The guy who commented on my boots the other day said, "She's not wearing her boots today." It was cool to be remembered for my boots :-)
When the lunches were finished, we began a ridiculously slow job that I honestly do not know what its purpose may be. We were given a thick stack of pages containing names of businesses throughout Sioux Falls and SD. Our job is to look up these businesses in the phone book and copy their numbers onto the sheets of paper. In preparation (I feared we may need to continue this phone book project that we began last time), I took 3 Ibuprofen before we went to The St. Francis House today. I just don't get it. I mean, I want to trust the ladies in charge that this book copying process has an objective, but I cannot rationalize it. I figure they're calling the businesses asking for donations, but it seems like the callers could look up the numbers as they call. Anyway, I don't want to be a downer, so that's enough of my annoyed pondering. Again, it was good to help, although I'm very glad we didn't have to copy the phone book any longer ;-)
I'm whittling away at reading Tales of a Female Nomad. Right now in the book Rita is in Bali, eagerly experiencing sacrificial ceremonies and Indian rituals. She's such a bold woman. Taking part in foreign and non-Christian worship services would give me the willies. Rita, on the other hand, excitedly dives into every event of her host families. Honestly, what amazes me more than Rita's curiosity is that the hosts always allow her to be actively involved. I had the misconception that people would be leery of letting a foreigner take part in sacred rituals; either Rita is very charismatic and people can't resist including her, or I think people are more exclusive/secretive than they really are.
Oh man, it's so pretty here! The trees are coated in a heavy white frost, like they were sprayed with foam or something. On the bigger trees, only the west side is covered in white, and the other is still green. It's soooo cool looking :) Everything just looks so clean and fresh!

No comments:

Post a Comment