Monday, January 18, 2010

Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day!!!

Martin Luther King, Jr.'s day has always been one of my favorites. I used to always love it because it landed near my birthday, and once in a while I would have my birthday off from school for good old MLKJ. Nowadays, with a little more maturity and appreciation under my belt, I think it is pretty admirable that our country dedicates a day to a man who did so much for mankind.
After a really fun weekend, a busy Monday with babysitting and a hard pool workout for track, I checked my email for the first time in...awhile. I also noticed some comments on my blogs, and I'm pretty stoked by all the encouraging comments and challenges from Kim. I decided since this class is pretty dependent on what I am willing to put into it, I can blog about other events that urge me think about common occurrences in addition to class assignments. Practice today was cool. Treading water for 40 minutes is tough, and I think that's part of why it was such a good team-builder. We had to cheer for each other and work together (while treading, we had to keep a ball in the air volleyball style). We did a relay race, 2 laps apiece...when I got exhausted and wanted to quit, I knew I had to keep going so I wouldn't embarrass my partner (I wound up being partners with my bestie, who is also my boyfriend! I really didn't want to let him down). It was tough, and we had to cooperate and encourage as a team; I feel very fulfilled by the bonding of practice today.
While recovering from the muscle tiredness, I checked my email and became very glad I didn't wait any longer to check it and find out Kim's message. (Reading 5 MLKJ speeches is a bit of a time commitment).
This fall I got to read Strength to Love, a collection of MLKJ sermons, and I loved it. As I read more of his wisdom tonight, I am once again soaking it up.
His voice emerges through the text so effectively; I try to read it while imagining his powerful, passionate voice in my mind.
I read his Nobel Prize Acceptance Speech, "I Have a Dream," "Our God is Marching On," "Where Do We Go From Here," and "Loving Your Enemies."
A few points I find exceptionally noteworthy:
I LOVE in "Our God is Marching On" when he says, "Our aim must never be to defeat or humiliate the white man, but to win his friendship and understanding." What a saint! Human nature generally drives us to intense anger, accompanied with a great deal of hateful actions and choice words. Not Martin Luther King, Jr. He's all sweet, like "Well, we had better befriend these people who want us dead. It wouldn't be nice to treat them like they treat us." What a guy :-)
To me it seems that MLKJ's entire life mission can be summed up with his statement from "Where Do We Go From Here" that says, "Darkness cannot put out darkness. Only light can do that."
It is awesome when King discusses love in his sermon, "Loving Your Enemies." He talks about 3 different Greek words for love and which one the Bible uses for loving our enemies. King states, "Love is understanding, redemptive goodwill for all men..." and he says that love is greater than like. Liking is basically an affection or attachment to someone. Love is more of a decision to treat someone well. Therefore, love takes more effort, making it more meaningful and true than simple liking.
As far as one speech being a monologue for social change in theatre, I think I'll pick "I Have a Dream." King's famous speech is a vision of a time in the future when people are all treated as people, as children of God who deserve love. Starting the speech with statements that highlight the equality errors in America is a great foundation for change. Discussing the promises of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution show that America's mission was not aligned with its actions. By sharing his dream of racial equality towards the end of the speech, King spurs the audience into excitement, which hopefully lead to action.
Social change tends to be a gradual process, and racial equality is certainly gradual. By starting "I Have a Dream" with the gap between America's promised standard and America's actual performance, King establishes the setting. Telling his dream of ideal equality provides a goal for the country.
Slowly, the damage is healing, and every day marks another day closer to King's dream. The social change is occurring. Good thing MLKJ was such a go-getter.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate the way you have really stated to own your blog. You are right. It is your forum to do with as you chose. So far, I am impressed.

    There is a whole extended metaphor there with the treading water with your boyfriend....

    I appreciate your comments on anger. I have always thought that anger was cheap and easy. I doesn't require listening or critical thought. I have found that with students and my own children throughout the years. If they feel as if they have or may disappoint, some find a way to blame a villian and throw hate. Love and compassion require so much more long term energy and investment.

    "Darkness cannot put out darkness. Only light can do that." Amen Dr. King

    So, can we surmise from this, that the two essential tools we need for social change are love and action?

    So, you have read these speeches and Anna Deaver's more contemporary depiction of hate and anger in Fires in the Mirror...both depicting the African American need to be heard, understood and respected. Does anything strike you about this?

    "MLKJ was such a go-getter" I wonder if this is his epitaph? :)

    ReplyDelete