Wednesday, January 20, 2010

False Alarm

This evening we girls headed over to help out with children's' activities at the Salvation Army. When we arrived, the head honchos said, "Oooohh. You're here to help, aren't you? Sorry! We forgot to call you. The activities are cancelled because the leaders didn't want to try to travel in this weather."
They felt bad and apologized a ton, which was nice, but it wasn't that big of a deal. We offered to pitch in any other place, and they had us bleach a few tables.
I'm kinda disappointed we didn't get to hang out with the kids again, but there's still next week.
To celebrate my birthday, I got to go sledding! Sledding is such a blast :) And I had a lesson on how to use an ice ax...that's really fun!
Still reading Tales of a Female Nomad. I'm still shocked at Rita's unquenchable sense of adventure. I feel bad for her family and friends back home, but it's her life, and she seems to earn more satisfaction from nomadic living. I mean, I miss my parents and brother and they're only 300 miles away. I can't imagine my Mom telling me that she's just going to up and leave the country and I may or may not see her in a few months.
But it is interesting to learn about Rita's experiences and the world outside of SD. That's definitely one very cool aspect of Rita's nomadic life. In writing about her journeys, she fills in readers about world affairs; I wonder how many of her readers have been spurred into action by her touching tales of distended stomachs and wars...
Well, I'm sorry I don't have more monumental thoughts to share tonight...maybe tomorrow ;-)

1 comment:

  1. I think you bring up a really good point. However, I guess I somewhat relate to Rita. As a mother, my children always come first, but there is a moment when the kids are "gone" that you go, hmmmm...what do I want to see and what do I want to change? Like Rita, the answers to those questions were/are not in my backyard. I tend to find, appreciate and live life when I am out of my comfort zone - which tends to be out of my area code.

    My children are welcome to come with me at any time. They know that thee are 3 things that I want them to always live their lives by: 1)Be kind even when it is inconvenient 2)Love people the most when they act like they want, need or deserve it the least 3)Forget savings - see the world! The only way I can teach this is to show them how to do it.

    What is the fallout from this philosophy? Many, many, many people over the years - including my own parents - have questioned my travels. My father has been quoted as saying, "I raised daughters who have wheels and wings on their butts." Would it be easier on my family to just stay put? Sure. However, I would cease to be an avid learner of life and if I can't learn, I can't teach.

    ReplyDelete